Grayslake Heritage Center and Museum
The Grayslake Heritage Center & Museum represents years of planning and cooperation. Working together, the Village of Grayslake and the Grayslake Historical Society opened the new facility on August 15, 2010. This state of the art history museum features multiple exhibition galleries, a classroom, a community room, archives and collections storage. It incorporates the original Village Hall, a former one-room school house moved to the site and expanded in 1895.
The Village of Grayslake and the Grayslake Historical Society worked together to secure financial support for the facility. The Grayslake Historical Society raised funds for the permanent exhibition and capital for collections and archival storage. The Esper A. Petersen Foundation was a major supporter of the construction, contributing $250,000. The Village arranged for $1.75 million in private funding for the center and committed $410,000 in Village dollars for the project.